Beaver (from BBC Nature)
For links organized by specific workshop topics
, see the individual topic pages.
General Information about Beaver
Beavers in the News
A recent article
in the Salt Lake Tribune, a segment
on NPR's All Thing's Considered
, and a segment
on Utah Public Radio's Wild About Utah
all help highlight the
use of beaver as a potential river restoration agent. They also speak to
the idea that beaver might be helpful in buffering anticipated impacts
from climate change. Beaver are finding themselves in the news more and
- USU Scientists Lead Innovative Wetlands Effort with Beavers, Walmart - Utah State Today, October 22, 2015. Mary-Ann Muffoletto. See also this summary of media stories associated with this article.
- 'As Busy as Beavers' - Herald Journal - Bridgerland Edition - June 2015
- 'For Rivers and Streams Messiness Matters' - Radio segment on UPR's The Source by Jennifer Pemberton - April 2015.
- 'Parachuting Beavers Into Idaho's Wilderness? Yes, It Really Happened' - Samantha Wright, Boise State Public Radio - Jan 2015. See also the recently found video! The actual study:
- 'Leave it to beavers: California joins other states in embracing the rodent' - San Jose Mercury News - Dec 2014
- Beavers: Nature's Engineer - 90.9 KRCL's RadioActive - August 2014
- Beaver Dam Mapping App Now Available for Citizen Scientists - KCPW - Explore Utah Science - July 2014
- Beavers take over from engineers at restored Wilson Creek - Courier Journal - Feb 2014
- 'Dam! Beavers have been busy sequestering carbon' - New Scientist - July 2013
- 'Beavers: Nature's first restoration engineers' - ecotrust Blog -May 2013
- 'Call Them the Beaver Believers' - The Daily Astorian, January 2013
- 'The World Needs Wolves' - New York Times, September 2012
- 'Utah moving beavers to improve habitat, streams' Associated Press - May 2012
- 'Watershed council works to convince Benton County landowners of benefits of returning beavers' - The Republic (Indiana) - Dec 2011
- 'N. America's Earliest Beaver Found Near Dayville' - Sept 2011
- 'Beavers: The Original Army Corps of Engineers' -Wild About Utah on Utah Public Radio's Wild About Utah (Holy Strand) - April 2010
- 'America's Frontier Fur Rush' - July 2010 - NPR On Point Interview with Eric Jay Dolin (Author of Fur, Fortune and Empire'
- 'Leave it to Beaver' - read story and see video at Salt Lake Tribune - Oct 2009
- 'Beaver and Restoration - The Rest of the Story' - Some cautionary notes in High Country News - June 2009
- 'With Trouble on the Range, Ranchers Wish They Could Leave It to Beavers' - Wall Street Journal Article
- 'Beavers Offer Solution to Climate Change' - Listen to story on NPR
- 'Mother Nature's Little Helpers: The Busy Beaver May be Key to Region's Water Issues' - read story in Spokesman Review
- See also the recent post on 'Largest known beaver dam discovered'
- Beaver survival a bright spot in rough week - in The Times Leader by Tom Venesky
- Wildlife vs. the city: Can’t we get along?
- Archaeologist finds ancient beaver teeth in eastern Oregon - Earliest Record of Animal in North America - The Oregonian
- Eager Beaver Engineer Ecosystems - Segment on NPR's Living on Earth
Beavers in Restoration
Beavers in Conservation