slides below (updated from last year as we go)
Week 1 - Intro
- Intro Lecture Slides
- Field trip to Rock Creek - On Saturday, January 13, 2018, four of us went up to Rock Creek to check out some beaver dam complexes and work of an active beaver colony through the winter. Contribute your own photos to this album. We flew the drone and took a few pics from above to get some different perspective.
During a previous year's field trip, we stopped off on the mainstem Blacksmith Fork and got a little perspective on valley settings and geomorphic context within which beaver build these dams.
For, some follow up background and context on valley setting you can refer to:
Week 3: Beaver Dam Feedbacks
References that were Discussed:
Scott spoke with us about Beaver Translocation.
We read and discussed:
We read and discussed:
- Woodruff K and Pollock MM. 2015. Relocating Beaver. In: Pollock MM, Lewallen G, Woodruff K, Jordan CE and Castro JM (Eds), The Beaver Restoration Guidebook: Working with Beaver to Restore Streams, Wetlands, and Floodplains. Version 1.0. United States Fish and Wildlife Service: Portland, OR, pp. 61-81.
- McKinstry MC and Anderson SH. 2003. Survival, fates, and success of transplanted beavers, Castor canadensis, in Wyoming. Canadian Field-Naturalist. 116(1): 60-68.
We will prepare our own adaptive beaver management plan for the City of Logan. We will use the following as examples:
- Portugal, E., Wheaton, JM., Sorenson, K., Majerova, M., Hunt, B., Bouwes, N. 2015. Hardware Ranch Adaptive Beaver Management Plan. Prepared for Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. Logan, Utah. 26 Pages. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.29887.30883
- Portugal E., Wheaton, JM., Bouwes, N. 2015. Spring Creek Wetland Area Adaptive Beaver Management Plan. Prepared for Walmart Stores Inc. and the City of Logan. Logan, Utah. 25 Pages. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.2075.3361
- Wheaton JM. 2013. Scoping Study and Recommendations for an Adaptive Beaver Management Plan. Prepared for Park City Municipal Corporation. Logan, Utah, 30 pp. DOI: 10.6084/m9.figshare.903648.
- Shahverdian SM, Macfarlane WW and Wheaton JM. 2016. MEMO: Westerly Creek Beaver Dam Capacity Assessment: Developing Realistic Expectations for Beaver Dam Activity. Prepared for Muller Engineering Company, Anabranch Solutions, Logan, UT, 24 pp. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.34120.93446
Living with Beaver and Adaptive management
There are lots of good resources for 'living with beaver' and mitigation out there. The Beaver Institute is an excellent resource for such information, and Beaver Solutions is a great example of a company that helps implement such solutions.