Week 1 - Intro + Beaver Biology, Fur-Trapping History, & Dam Building
During the field trip, we stopped off on the mainstem Blacksmith Fork and got a little perspective on valley settings and geomorphic context within which beaver build these dams.
For, some follow up background and context on valley setting you can refer to:
Week 2: Beaver Dam Feedbacks
References that were Discussed:
- Bush, BM and Wissinger, SA, 2016. Invertebrates in Beaver-Created Wetlands and Ponds. 411-449. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-24978-0_12. - Susan's former advisor published this very informative chapter on ecological feedbacks of beaver-created wetlands and ponds on invertebrates.
Week 3 - Riverscape Capacity to Support Beaver Dams
- In Class Exercise - BRAT_Bridge_Creek.zip
- BRAT Tutorials
- BRAT Model
Introduction to beaver ASSISTED restoration
- Overview of Restoration with Beaver Slides (this year - Scott Shahveridan's slides)
- Overview of Restoration with Beaver Slides (last year)
This week we will learn how to run BRAT.
Scott spoke with us about Beaver Translocation.
We read and discussed:
We read and discussed:
- Woodruff K and Pollock MM. 2015. Relocating Beaver. In: Pollock MM, Lewallen G, Woodruff K, Jordan CE and Castro JM (Eds), The Beaver Restoration Guidebook: Working with Beaver to Restore Streams, Wetlands, and Floodplains. Version 1.0. United States Fish and Wildlife Service: Portland, OR, pp. 61-81.
- McKinstry MC and Anderson SH. 2003. Survival, fates, and success of transplanted beavers, Castor canadensis, in Wyoming. Canadian Field-Naturalist. 116(1): 60-68.
Living with Beaver and Adaptive management
We will prepare our own adaptive beaver management plan for the City of Logan. We will use the following as examples:
- Portugal, E., Wheaton, JM., Sorenson, K., Majerova, M., Hunt, B., Bouwes, N. 2015. Hardware Ranch Adaptive Beaver Management Plan. Prepared for Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. Logan, Utah. 26 Pages. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.29887.30883
- Portugal E., Wheaton, JM., Bouwes, N. 2015. Spring Creek Wetland Area Adaptive Beaver Management Plan. Prepared for Walmart Stores Inc. and the City of Logan. Logan, Utah. 25 Pages. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.2075.3361
- Wheaton JM. 2013. Scoping Study and Recommendations for an Adaptive Beaver Management Plan. Prepared for Park City Municipal Corporation. Logan, Utah, 30 pp. DOI: 10.6084/m9.figshare.903648.
- Shahverdian SM, Macfarlane WW and Wheaton JM. 2016. MEMO: Westerly Creek Beaver Dam Capacity Assessment: Developing Realistic Expectations for Beaver Dam Activity. Prepared for Muller Engineering Company, Anabranch Solutions, Logan, UT, 24 pp. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.34120.93446
There are lots of good resources for 'living with beaver' and mitigation out there. The Beaver Institute is an excellent resource for such information, and Beaver Solutions is a great example of a company that helps implement such solutions.
Last year's slides below (updated as we go)
- BDAs Slides
- BDA Photos (from Scott)