Synopsis of Topic
There are a large number of examples of beaver conservation and restoration efforts. The restoration efforts are primarily in the form of trapping and relocating nuisance beaver to areas where they can be used as a passive restoration/conservation tool. There are lots of organizations pursuing such activities (see some examples here
). We will highlight (by way of discussion) some of the few examples from the scholarly literature of restoration efforts using beaver.
Why We're Covering It
If we can use lessons learned from others, the likelihood of choosing the appropriate method and achieving the desired effect will greatly improve.
This topics helps us with the following learning outcomes for the workshop:
- Knowledge of past and ongoing restoration projects using beaver;
- A working understanding of considerations in restoration designs using beaver;
- An introduction of how to develop dynamic designs utilizing beaver
Relevant or Cited Literature
Beaver to Conserve Other Species
- Stevens C, Paszkowski C and Foote A. 2007. Beaver (Castor canadensis) as a surrogate species for conserving anuran amphibians on boreal streams in Alberta, Canada. Biological Conservation. 134(1): 1-13. DOI: 10.1016/j.biocon.2006.07.017.
Beaver to Buffer Impacts of Climate Change
- Andersen DC and Shafroth PB. 2010. Beaver dams, hydrological
thresholds, and controlled floods as a management tool in a desert
riverine ecosystem, Bill Williams River, Arizona. Ecohydrology. 3(3):
325-338. DOI: 10.1002/eco.113.
- Andersen DC, Shafroth PB, Pritekel CM and O’Neill MW. 2011. Managed Flood Effects on Beaver Pond Habitat in a Desert Riverine Ecosystem, Bill Williams River, Arizona USA. Wetlands. 31(2): 195-206. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-011-0154-y.
- Burchsted D, Daniels M, Thorson R and Vokoun J. 2010. The River
Discontinuum: Applying Beaver Modifications to Baseline Conditions for
Restoration of Forested Headwaters. Bioscience. 60(11): 908-922. DOI: 10.1525/bio.2010.60.11.7.
- Pollock MM, Pess GR and Beechie TJ. 2004. The importance of beaver ponds to coho salmon production in the Stillaguamish River basin, Washington, USA. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 24(3): 749-760. DOI: 10.1577/M03-156.1.
- Wolf EC, Cooper DJ and Hobbs NT. 2007. Hydrologic regime and herbivory
stabilize an alternative state in yellowstone national park. Ecological
Applications. 17(6): 1572-1587.
- Albert S and Trimble T. 2000. Beavers are partners in riparian
restoration on the Zuni Indian Reservation. Ecological Restoration.
18(2): 87-92. Macdonald DW, Tattersall FH, Brown ED and Balharry D. 1995. Reintroducing the European beaver to Britain: Nostalgic meddling or restoring biodiversity? Mammal Review. 25(4): 161-200.
- Macdonald DW, Tattersall FH, Brown ED and Balharry D. 1995. Reintroducing the European beaver to Britain: Nostalgic meddling or restoring biodiversity? Mammal Review. 25(4): 161-200.
- McKinstry MC, Caffrey P and Anderson SH. 2001. The importance of beaver to wetland habitats and waterfowl in Wyoming. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 37(6): 1571-1577.
Supporting Existing Beaver
- Apple L, Johnson R, Ziebell C, Paton D, Ffolliott P and Hamre R. 1985. Riparian habitat restoration and beavers. (CSA Abstract)
- Apple L, Smith B, Dunder J and Baker B. 1985. The use of beavers for riparian/aquatic habitat restoration of cold desert, gully-cut stream systems in southwestern Wyoming. Investigations on beavers. 4: 123.
Please see restoration and conservation links here.
< Previous Topic Next Topic